Monday, May 11, 2009

A Tribute to My Mother

Certain sounds and smells always trigger memories. Listerine, Kleenex and Jergen's lotion always make me think of my grandmother. Jello always makes me think of my mother! It may be because she ate a LOT of Jello in my lifetime, partly because stomach ulcers were something she lived with for as long as I can remember. Salads made with Jello always trigger memories as well......I think this was more an economic than a health issue for her. Certain combinations......grape Jello with bananas, lime Jello with pears stuffed with cream cheese, lime Jello with pineapple and carrots.....those bring back memories for sure!

I have other memories as well......that she almost always had on a sweater, even in the warmest weather.......that she almost always had a tissue stuffed into the sleeve of that sweater, just in case! I remember the fruitcake cookies she always made at Christmas. It should be noted that I have always hated fruit cake, but I loved those cookies! I remember the "cranberry tip-tops" (a frozen concoction of cranberries, Jello, nuts, whipped cream) she made, only for Christmas.

I remember all the times as a child I got "the look" when my behavior didn't quite meet her standards. My sons may remember "the look" being directed at them......I think I learned that lesson well! And I have such wonderful memories of the times we laughed together as adult women, the shopping sprees and chocolate covered peanuts we shared, and the special moments of deep conversation. How I miss those!

There were so many things I admired about my mother. She was kind and loving, stern when necessary, had a great sense of humor. She loved Christmas and birthdays. She was a woman of great faith, a very disciplined woman, and one who did "all things as unto the Lord."

Even in the last years of her life after multiple strokes had affected her speech and her memory, she retained her sense of humor. She never complained, often laughing when she couldn't quite express herself....."oh, I can't say it!" she would say, and somehow we would figure out what she meant.

One of the most powerful memories of those last years is the Bible on her bed. She read that Bible every day, even when her brain would no longer let her exactly understand what she was reading. The Word of God was her constant companion. What an inspiration she was....and is...to me. And oh, how I miss her!

No comments:

Post a Comment