Thursday, May 21, 2009

The Sisterhood of the Pink Bubble

Almost 13 years ago I took the plunge and became an Independent Beauty Consultant with Mary Kay Cosmetics. I had been using Mary Kay products for many years but had never given any thought to selling them until I was faced with the empty-nest as my youngest was going off to college. Even then, I wasn't looking to be a businesswoman as much as I was looking for something to fill my time, since I would no longer be a home-schooling mom. It's not as if I didn't have plenty to do.....I was teaching a full load of piano students as well as serving my church as Music Minister and teaching Precept Upon Precept Bible Studies in our church. But on June 12, 1996 I began a new career as an Independent Beauty Consultant.

I have loved my Mary Kay years, as a consultant and later as an Independent Sales Director. I've enjoyed the money I made, and I made a good income! I enjoyed the prizes I earned and the prestige of being a Star Consultant and of qualifying for my first car (I took cash compensation instead of the car.) But most of all I have loved the friendships I have made and the camraderie that exists between the women in Mary Kay. There is a real sisterhood in Mary Kay that is unlike any I ever experienced in any other job/career I ever had. It really is the sisterhood of the "pink bubble", and something not really understood by those outside the bubble.

When we moved to the mountains a few years ago and began life in this very isolated area, I put my MK career on hold and then chose to "retire" myself. But oh how I have missed it! I've continued to maintain my consultant status with the company and have continued using MK products - I wouldn't think of using anything else!! But I've been out of the bubble.....away from meetings and skin care parties and seminar and missing my MK girls!! Missing them a lot!! So much, in fact, that I'm coming out of retirement!! Certainly the current economic climate makes going back "to work" a good idea......some additional income will be helpful! But more than the money, I miss the sisterhood!! I miss the pink bubble!!

Whether or not I work my business on as big a scale as I once did remains to be seen......will I become a Sales Director or a car qualifier again? I don't know. What I do know is that I'm taking the first step......I've made the decision. And I am so excited!!!

So check me out at www.marykay.com/sfeaster. Leave me a note and tell me you were there. And if you don't have a personal beauty consultant, I'd love to provide that service for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment