Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Yellow Kitchens and Other Random Memories

originally posted November 13, 2012. 

I recently read a blog post in which the writer referred to her yellow kitchen.  Sorry, but I don't remember where I came across it so I can't give credit.  That blog post triggered a trip down memory lane.  You see, in our very first house, long years ago, our kitchen was yellow.  A sunny yellow.  I don't remember why I chose that color back then, but I'm glad I did.  It was a cheerful room and I loved it!  And, of all the kitchens we have ever had, it was one of my favorites, probably because it was sunny and bright, but also because it had LOTS of cabinets!

Here in our log home, our walls are sort of yellow as well.  The actual color is "Hepplewhite Ivory", but in actuality, these walls look a lot more yellow than ivory.  (In much the same way that the walls in the office downstairs look a lot less "Queen Anne Beige" and a lot more pink!)  This is a much softer yellow than that kitchen was long years ago.  But I love the color just as much.  It's a warm, happy color.  An optimistic color.  It makes me smile.

Thinking about this kitchen and our first kitchen, and all the kitchens in between, has me thinking about all the places we have lived.  All the houses and apartments that became "home".  All the friends we have made along the way.

All that moving around required some adjustments here and there.  Adjusting to different climates.  To different accents and speech patterns.  To knowing whether a Coke was really Coke or pop or soda.  To knowing whether to call a shopping cart a cart or a buggy or a trolly or a wagon or a basket.

Life has turned out differently than I once envisioned it.  Even so, it has been a wonderful adventure and I am so very grateful!  Grateful for all the stops we've made along our journey.  For all the places we have lived.  For all the people we have met along the way.  For friendships.  And for yellow kitchens.

"Bless the LORD, O my soul; and all that is within me, bless His holy name.  Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget none of His benefits."  (Psalm 103:1-2 NASB)

No comments:

Post a Comment