Monday, April 13, 2015

The Rock

Last week was a challenging week.  In addition to the weariness that is part of the getting ready to move process, there was bad news on several fronts that was wearying to my spirit.  A precious friend was diagnosed with breast cancer.  I learned of two other situations involving people who are very dear to me in which each of those individuals was badly treated.  Add to that the usual week's worth of this person is sick and that person is having a financial struggle, and all the life events that happen in any given week, and it was quite a load to bear.

As I was thinking about all these things over the weekend, I remembered the rock in our front yard when we lived in Gales Ferry, Connecticut.

What does all this have to do with a rock?  Quite a lot, actually.  You see, this wasn't just any rock.  It was a large rock.  A giant boulder firmly planted there in our front yard.  I would share a picture with you, but it has already been packed away!

One of my assignments during my seminary studies was to write a paper on selected verses from Psalm 62.  I used that rock as an illustration in my paper.

That very large rock was quite a landmark.  In fact, I would often use it when giving directions to our house.  Just go down Pheasant Run Drive until you see a two-story green house with a giant rock in the front yard.  No one ever had trouble finding our house!  All because of that rock.

It was probably as tall, or taller, than I am.  Its top surface was large and flat.  Several adults could easily sit on top of that rock, with plenty of room to spare.  It would be a good place for a picnic, if you didn't mind having to crawl up the sides with your food!

When I remember that rock, I am reminded of Psalm 62.  When I read Psalm 62, I remember that rock.  And when times are tough, I remember them both.

In case Psalm 62 isn't one of those you can call immediately to mind, here are few verses to help you understand what I mean:

"My soul waits in silence for God only; from Him is my salvation.  He only is my rock and my salvation, my stronghold; I shall not be greatly shaken."  (Psalm 62:1-2 NASB)

"On God my salvation and my glory rest; the rock of my strength, my refuge is in God."  (Psalm 62:7 NASB)

That rock in Connecticut was large.  Steadfast.  Immovable.  Unshakeable. No matter the storms, that rock was not going anywhere.

These verses, and others as well, remind us that our God is a rock.  The rock of strength.  The rock of our salvation.  He is our rock, our anchor, our shelter in times of storm.  He is steadfast.  Immoveable.  Unshakeable.  And just like that rock in Connecticut, He's not going anywhere.

Especially during weeks like last week, during tough times, during challenging times, we need that reminder, don't we?

"The LORD is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge."  (Psalm 18:2 NASB, emphasis mine)


Where do I go when there's nobody else to turn to?
Who do I talk to when nobody wants to listen?
Who do I lean on when there's no foundation stable?
I go to The Rock,I know He's able
I go to The Rock.

I go to The Rock of my salvation;
I go to the stone that the builders rejected.
I run to the mountain, and The Mountain stands by me.
When the earth all around me is sinking sand,
On Christ, the solid rock I stand;
When I need a shelter, when I need a friend,
I go to The Rock.
(-Dottie Rambo)
 
 
Listen to "I Go to the Rock" here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoJroh25HXA

No comments:

Post a Comment