Monday, April 20, 2015

Never Alone

As we begin this last full week in this house, I confess to you that I am weary.  Physically weary, certainly.  The task of getting all our belongings into boxes has definitely been physically challenging.  The task is almost done, and for that, I am very thankful.  My energy level is very low these days!

I'm weary of gray skies.  I'm longing for bright sun and blue skies.  This will apparently not be the day for that, since the weather forecast calls for thunderstorms throughout the day.  In fact, it has just begun to rain again. Sigh.

And I'm mentally and emotionally weary.  My mother-in-law is back in the hospital, this time with a broken hip.  This is her third hospitalization in as many months.  In February there was back surgery followed by rehab.  In March, she became ill due to dehydration and was hospitalized again, followed by another trip to rehab.  On Saturday afternoon she fell at home and is back in the hospital, with surgery to repair her broken hip scheduled for this morning.

Moving is hard.  Dreary weather is hard.  Parenting the parents is hard.

Life is hard.

Of course, in spite of what many popular TV preachers would tell you, there is no promise in Scripture that it will be easy. 

The blessing is that we don't have to deal with life's challenges alone.  Certainly we have family members and friends who walk through these difficult times with us, and who offer us their love and support.

The even greater blessing is that we are never alone.  These words to an old gospel hymn, written many years ago by Ludie D. Puckett, affirm that.

 No, never alone, no, never alone,
He promised never to leave me,
He’ll claim me for His own;
No, never alone, no never alone.
He promised never to leave me,
Never to leave me alone.

And whatever is dragging us down today, we can "cast all [our] cares on Him, because He cares for [us]. (1 Peter 5:7)

We can face whatever comes our way because we know that we are not alone.  "I am with you always", said Jesus (Matthew 28:20).  He is interceding for us. "He is able to save forever those who draw near to God through Him, since He always lives to make intercession for them."  (Hebrews 7:25) And the Holy Spirit is interceding for us as well.  "The Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words."  (Romans 8:26)

No matter how weary you or I may be. No matter what we have to deal with today. No matter what might be dragging us down.  Those are precious truth to cling to.

Because we are never alone.

"Blessed be the Lord who daily bears our burdens."  (Psalm 68:19 NASB)


No comments:

Post a Comment