Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Trusting Jesus. That Is All.

I haven't been able to get that old hymn out of my head this morning.  Trusting Him whate'er befall.  Trusting Jesus, that is all.

The countdown to moving continues.  Three weeks from yesterday our furniture will be on a truck.  I'm already surrounded by boxes, but there's still much yet to be done.  And an extra dental appointment got thrown into the mix yesterday.  I went in to get some cavities filled.  But, one tooth which had old fillings in it that needed to be replaced just couldn't be filled any more.  There wasn't enough tooth left!  So, I needed a crown.  The prep work was done yesterday while I was there, and another dental appointment was added into my already very busy schedule so I can get the permanent crown into place.  I really don't have time for that, so I'm just trusting that I can get everything done.

Yesterday was a rainy day.  A front was moving through.  That's never a good thing for a person with RA, and I was unusually stiff yesterday.  Sitting in one position for the nearly two hours I was in the dentist chair did not help my stiffness, and this morning I'm paying a price for that.  This morning I'm trusting that my usual remedies will work so that I can get on with the tasks of the day.  Like packing some more boxes!

Times are tough right now for a lot of people.  If you aren't in the middle of a tough time, you probably know someone who is.  People are worried and stressed and fearful and feeling uncertain.  About all sorts of things.

People are dealing with health issues of various kinds.  A bad diagnosis.  Facing tests.  Waiting for results and fearful of what the diagnosis will be.  Trying to navigate insurance challenges.

There's unemployment.  And underemployment.  And nervousness about just how long the job will last.  And if it will be long enough.  Wondering when the next round of lay-offs will come.  Worry that the job won't last until retirement.  Concern that when retirement comes, there won't be enough money.

There are bills to pay.  And too much month at the end of the money.

There are broken relationships.  There's stress and anger and frustration.

How do we deal with it all?  How do we get through the tough times without falling completely apart?

We adjust our focus.  Instead of fixing our attention on the circumstances, we fix our attention in a different direction.  Look up.  Follow these admonitions from Scripture: "Fixing our eyes on Jesus....." (Hebrews 12:2 NASB);"Thou wilt keep him [or her] in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on Thee."  (Isaiah 26:3 KJV)

We remember.  Remember who God is.  Call to mind aspects of His character.  Make a list of all the times and all the ways He has come to your aid, all the blessings He has showered on you.  Remember how He has never forsaken you.  "Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits."  (Psalm 103:2 ESV)

We trust.  We fix our eyes on Jesus.  We remember who He is and we remember all He has done.  And we trust that He will continue to do that. Because "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever."  (Hebrews 13:8 ESV)

You likely are facing a different set of stresses today than I am (unless you're also in the process of moving!).  But no matter what the circumstances of your life are today, no matter how stressed or upset or worried you might be, rest today in confident assurance that God is in control.  None of your situation comes as a surprise to Him. He knows.  He cares.  And He's got it all under control.  "And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose."  (Romans 8:28 ESV)

 

 "Simply trusting ev'ry day, Trusting through a stormy way;
Even when my faith is small, Trusting Jesus, that is all.
Trusting as the moments fly, Trusting as the days go by;
Trusting Him whate'er befall, Trusting Jesus, that is all."
 
("Trusting Jesus" - words, Edgar Page Stites; music, Ira Sankey)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment