Wednesday, March 20, 2013

What's Your Passion?

I have been challenged over the last several days by some things I have read.  Let me share a few of them with you.

First, there's this quote from Nancy Leigh DeMoss that I read on Facebook:
"If someone were to ask me “what do Christians love?”, my answer based on my Christian friends’ Tweets would be… Downton Abbey, Duck Dynasty, American Idol, the Oscars and March Madness. Why do so many followers of Jesus seem to be more passionate about these things than His Word, His people and His Kingdom?"

Then there's this from Randy Alcorn on his blog, which can be found at www.epm.org:    "I think what we’ve got to do is look at everything in our lives and ask, “Is this under the lordship of Christ?” Christ is to be Lord of my whole life—including my house, car, hobbies, television-watching, and whatever role sports may have in my life.
In 1 Corinthians 10:31 we’re told, “Whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.” So with anything in my life, I have to say, “Can I do this to God’s glory?” and also “Am I actually doing this to God’s glory?” 
Whether it’s fantasy football or quilting, whether it’s Facebooking or email or movie-watching—whatever it is—is this thing an instrument or a tool of God in my life that’s bringing about some good things like rest, recreation, and intellectual stimulation? Or is this thing a bad thing that is distracting me from kingdom priorities?"

There's this quote from A. W. Tozer, also seen on Randy Alcorn's blog, "Distractions must be conquered, or they will conquer us."

And finally, there's this from The Daily Encouraging Word (which can be found at www.theencouragingword.org), "John Wesley, founder of the Methodist Church, travelled two hundred and fifty thousand miles on horseback, averaging twenty miles a day for forty years.  He preached forty thousand sermons, produced four hundred books, and knew ten languages.  At eighty-three he was annoyed that he couldn't write more than fifteen hours a day without his eyes hurting.  And at eighty-six he was ashamed he couldn't preach more than twice a day.  He complained in his diary of an increasing tendency to lie in bed until 5:30 a.m."

I don't know about you, but each of these quotes spoke to me in the very depths of my being.  Challenged me to examine how I spend my time and energy.  To consider what my priorities are.  What my passion is.

Now let's add this verse that was a part of our Sunday morning Bible study this past week:  "Discipline yourself for the purpose of godliness."  (1 Timothy 4:7b NASB)

It's time for some serious self-examination and reflection, isn't it?  How are we, you and I, spending our time?  What do our choices - of entertainment, books, TV shows, leisure activities, etc. - reveal about our priorities? What is our passion?  What is it that is really important to us?  Most important to us?  Does what we say match up with what we do?

Something to think about.

"But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness....."  (Matthew 6:33 ESV)


No comments:

Post a Comment