Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Reminders

It's snowing this morning.  Again.  Over the course of the last week, we've had several snowy days.  More snowy days than not, actually.  But this one seems more like the "real deal." 

I've been saying for several days now that if we are going to have snow, I wish it would just snow - really snow a lot - and get it over with, than to have day after day where we get a little bit of snow - just enough to be a nuisance and interfere with life, but not really all that much.  Last week we had ice on Tuesday, and then Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday we had snow.  Not a lot of snow on any of those days. Measurable amounts, but not huge amounts.  And because the snow is dry and powdery, and because the wind continuously howls up on this mountain, it mostly just blows away!  I'm not sure where it ends up.

In any event, even though the wind is howling yet again this morning, it seems that we might get a bigger snow accumulation today than we have had in recent days.  It's all a big reminder that winter isn't through with us yet, no matter how much we might be longing for spring.  A big reminder that all my wishing won't change the weather at all, since I'm not in charge of that!

Meanwhile, my phone has died.  It worked fine yesterday morning, but yesterday afternoon it quit on me.  The battery isn't dead.  I know this because the phone still "chirps" its notification tone. It even rang a little while ago, although I couldn't answer it.  When I push the button to "wake it up", all I get is a blank screen with a thin green line through it.  I have no idea what's wrong with it, since I'm one of the most technologically challenged individuals around.  Now that the phone isn't working, I'm reminded just how much I depend on it.  But no matter how much I might wish it would just "wake up", and no matter how much I might wish that I could talk or text or check the weather forecast or take a picture or use any of the other apps on the phone, all my wishing won't make it so.  Another thing I can't control, since I'm not in charge.

As I logged on to my computer this morning and checked some news headlines, I was (as usual) dismayed, discouraged, irritated, sickened......and that list could go on and on.....by much of what I read.  But as with the weather, and with my phone, so it is with the ineptness of government and politicians.  As much as I would like things to be different than they are, my wishing will not make it so. 

Each of these scenarios serves as a reminder that I'm not in control.  But also serves as a reminder that I can - and should - depend completely on the One who is in control.  For every situation.  And every frustration.  And every concern.  Because only He can make a difference.

"Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice........Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God.  And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."                             (Philippians 4, 6-7 ESV)



No comments:

Post a Comment