Friday, March 1, 2013

The Promise of Spring

It's a new month.  Time to turn the calendar page.  To get a fresh start.  And since it's March, to look forward to spring.

Around here, I think spring is quite distant.  We're under another "winter weather advisory".  We had a little more snow overnight.  There have been some flurries again this morning.  More snow is expected, although whether or not there is any accumulation remains to be seen.

March winds have definitely arrived.  With a vengeance, I might add.  For the last two nights, sleep has been difficult due to the howling of the wind.  I wonder if this wind sounds something like what the disciples heard as they were waiting for the promised Holy Spirit.  We're told in Acts chapter 2 that "there came from heaven a sound like a mighty rushing wind."  I'm not sure exactly what that wind sounded like, but the wind around here is certainly loud enough to get my attention!

A couple of days ago I saw my first sign of spring.  There were beautiful purple and yellow crocuses blooming in the flower bed next to the garage door.  There's a retaining wall behind that flower bed, and the afternoon sun makes that a wonderful warm place for the first flowers to bloom.

I should have taken a picture, because sub-freezing temperatures, powerful winds, and snow have pretty much ruined my beautiful crocuses. 

I meant to take a picture.  Really I did!  I just never got around to it.  At least I have the memory of those beautiful crocuses to hold on to until spring actually comes.  I think it may be a while yet.  But it will come. Those crocuses were just a promise that it will come!

 
"If Winter comes, can Spring be far behind?"
 
(- Percy Bysshe Shelley)






No comments:

Post a Comment