Tuesday, March 26, 2013

What Are You Praying For?

I'm reading in 1 Samuel right now in my Bible reading plan.  Yesterday I read chapters 13 and 14.  Since then I have been thinking about.....meditating on.....praying through 1 Samuel 13:14, especially the last part of that verse.

"The LORD has sought out a man after his own heart......"

As I have been thinking about this verse, about the life of King Saul and about King David after him, I am also thinking about the men in my life. About my husband.  And my sons.  And my grandsons.

And I'm praying this verse for them.  That they would be men after God's own heart.

I'm giving thanks to God for my husband.  What a blessing it is to have a husband who loves the Lord with all his heart and soul and mind and strength.  How I thank God for him.....that he is indeed a man after God's own heart.

I thank God for my sons and for my grandsons as well.  I pray that my sons will continue to grow strong in their relationships with the Lord.  I pray that they would be overwhelmed by His love for them.  That they would delight in Him.  That they would truly be men after His own heart.

And I pray that same prayer for my grandsons.  I pray that their lives would be totally committed to Jesus.  They they would "grow in wisdom and in stature and in favor with God and man." (Luke 2:52).  I pray that they would love Jesus with all their hearts and that they, following in the footsteps of their dads and their Opa, would truly be men after God's own heart.

As I ponder these thoughts and as I pray these things for my family, as I lay these desires of my heart before the LORD, I am thanking Him that He hears and answers prayer.  I am thanking Him for the promise of Psalm 37:4......"Delight yourself in the LORD, and he will give you the desires of your heart."

What are the desires of your heart?  What are you praying for today?

2 comments:

  1. I am praying for my church in the middle of transition--a long way in, and yet a long way out. A little like a woman with PMS, it's a bit of an irritable place to be, and that not of our own making, yet we are still entirely responsibility for our conduct in the midst of it. Praying that the Spirit will be a lubricant and a balm, sustaining health for the body and facilitating the flow of movement, so that we can continue in the worship and service he has called us to do.

    ReplyDelete