Friday, March 15, 2013

Out of Sorts

Mornings like this one just prove what a creature of habit I am.  Some might say they just prove my OCD-ness!

It all started when I woke up but decided to just lie in bed a few more minutes.  Which turned into more than an hour.  So that when I came dragging out of the bedroom, I realized that Al would be coming up from the office for breakfast soon.  He usually gets a little early morning work in before we have breakfast.  And since it was almost the time he usually comes up for breakfast, I knew I wouldn't have time for my leisurely cup of coffee and my Bible reading.  So I put that on hold and started the oatmeal.

Just as the water started to boil, Al came up from the office to say that he had forgotten he had to be on a call in just a couple of minutes.  So I fixed him a quick "to-go" breakfast of some leftover sausage and "egg muffins" that I quickly reheated in the microwave, while at the same time continuing to prepare the oatmeal which I would now eat alone.  (You can find "egg muffins" on Pinterest, if you're interested.)  And I still hadn't had my coffee or Bible reading.

Al took his "to-go" plate back down to the office, I finished the oatmeal and ate it alone.  And finally I sat down to my Bible reading and coffee.  If you know me at all, you know that coffee should be the very first thing.  It's very much needed to jumpstart my brain in the morning.  And the very next thing should have been my Bible.  Not only is that an ingrained habit, but it's so necessary to get my mind and heart into the right frame of mind for the day.  At least I got a verse off that calendar in the window while I was waiting on my oatmeal. And it was a good verse to start the day with......"If God is for us, who can be against us?" (Romans 8:31 ESV).

I guess the answer to that question is "me".  I have been dragging all morning.  Really out of sorts.  Mostly with myself.  My typical morning routine - coffee and Bible, followed later by a quick check of Facebook to see what's going on in the world and with my friends, followed by more coffee and breakfast, and then on to the day's tasks - was interrupted by no one other than myself.  I stayed in bed too long.  Then I didn't get my coffee.  Didn't have my Bible reading at the right time.  I read after my oatmeal, but that was out of order.  Out of order is not something I deal with very well.  And besides that, if I can just be brutally honest here, reading "And the people of Israel did what was evil in the sight of the LORD.  They forgot the LORD their God.........And the people of Israel again did what was evil in the sight of the LORD.......And the people of Israel again did what was evil in the sight of the LORD......."  (Judges 3:7, 12; 4:1 ESV) did not really do a whole lot to improve my mood!

And to top it off, when I got around to what I intended to be a quick Facebook check, I couldn't get on line.  No idea why.  As I have probably mentioned before, what I understand about computers doesn't fill a thimble. Eventually the problem was resolved.....Al restarted our modem, I rebooted my computer.....and here I am.

The end result of all of this is that I am still a bit out of sorts.  "My get up and go done got up and went", as the old saying goes.  I am really, really, really trying to get into a better frame of mind.  But I'm off to a rough start today.

All because I stayed in bed too long.  And because my coffee and Bible reading didn't come first.


"Give ear to my words, O LORD, consider my meditation.  Hearken unto the voice of my cry, my King, and my God: for unto thee will I pray.  My voice shalt thou hear in the morning, O LORD; in the morning will I direct my prayer unto thee, and will look up."  (Psalm 5:1-3 KJV)




No comments:

Post a Comment