Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Two Weeks Later. It's a Process.

Several weeks ago, as I was reading up on knee replacement surgery, trying to learn all I could and be as prepared as I could for my surgery, I read somewhere that recovering from the surgery is like a full-time job.  I don't know who said that, but I think they were right! 

This is quite a time-consuming process.  And not just in the sense that it takes weeks, perhaps months, to fully recover.  I'm talking about everything that is a part of the recovery process.  Go to physical therapy.  Do the physical therapy at home, three times a day.  Use the ice machine.  Get up and practice walking.  Remember to take your meds, not only the pain pills as necessary, but all those other things as well, like iron pills for my anemia and aspirin to keep my blood thin and stool softeners for.....well, you know what that's for!  Remember to wear your compression hose, except for that brief respite one hour a day.  There's just a lot to remember in this process.  Maybe that explains, at least in part, why I'm so tired!

Yesterday marked two weeks since my surgery.  Has it really only been two weeks?  These two weeks have been filled with highs and lows, with good days and bad.  It's all part of the process.

The process continued today as I had my first post-op appointment.  The best part of that appointment was that the staples were removed.  The doctor is pleased with my progress, and I'm to continue doing what I'm doing until I see him again in another month.  And so the process continues.

I'll continue doing therapy and applying ice and taking my meds and all the other things that are part of the process so that, before too much longer, I'll be walking normally and unassisted.  The process continues until the desired goal is achieved.

In that way, this whole knee replacement adventure is much like life in general.  It's a process.  I must be disciplined to do the things that are required of me in order to achieve the desired outcome.  The doctor has done his part, and now I must do mine.

Just like life.  God has a plan.  For me.  For you.  For all of mankind.  He has done His part.  He gave us life.  And He has provided a way for new life, by the sacrifice of His Son Jesus, to pay our sin debt, to give us access to the Father, and to give us abundant life, both here and in the life to come.

[Jesus said] "The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I came that they may have life and have it abundantly."  (John 10:10 NASB)

That's God's part.  Our part is committing our lives to Christ.  Accepting, by faith, the free gift of salvation that is offered to us.  And then living day by day, moment by moment, by the principles and precepts that God lays out for us in His Word.

Will we get it right all the time?  No.  Will we make mistakes?  Of course we will.  Will we have good days and bad, highs and lows?  Certainly.  It's all part of the process.  The process by which God is working all these things together for our good and His glory.  The process by which He is conforming us to the image of His Son.

It's a process.  And we continue the process until the desired goal is achieved.  Until this life is completed, and we are finally, once and for all time, in the presence of the One who gave His life for us.

Until then, the process continues.  We press on.

"I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus."  (Philippians 3:14 NASB)


"And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.  For those whom He foreknew, He also predestined to become conformed to the image of His Son."  (Romans 8:28-29a NASB)

No comments:

Post a Comment