Thursday, April 21, 2016

The Word of the Day

In a comment on one of my Facebook posts, a friend said she was praying "for healing and fortitude" (thank you, Doris!).  Since I read that comment, I've been thinking a lot about that word. 

Fortitude.  mental and emotional strength in facing difficulty, adversity, danger, or temptation courageously.  (from dictionary.com)

Fortitude is not a word we use all that often in our daily conversations.  But it's a good word.  And one that is very appropriate in my circumstances.

I've struggled this week.  Rehab following knee replacement is hard.  Hard.  My surgeon says it's the most difficult of all the joints to rehab.  And it's not just hard physically.  It's hard mentally.  And emotionally.  It's easy to get frustrated and discouraged.

Which is where fortitude comes in.  I'm making good progress in my rehab.  But there are times when it doesn't seem like it.  That's when the frustration and discouragement come - when my feelings get in the way of what I know to be true.

That's true following knee replacement.  It's true in every circumstance of life. 

You may need some fortitude today.  Whether for a physical condition, or a financial challenge, or a relationship, or just because the daily grind of life is getting you down.

That's what I'm praying for today.  Fortitude.  For you and for me.  May God by His Spirit grant us the fortitude we need to face whatever challenge comes our way today.

"Have I not commanded you?  Be strong and courageous!  Do not tremble or be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go."  (Joshua 1:9, NASB)

No comments:

Post a Comment