Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Thankful Tuesday. It's the Little Things.

Before we bought this house we now call home, the previous owner had made a few upgrades to the kitchen.  He had done this on the advice of his realtor, who told him the house would be easier to sell with these upgrades already in place.  Thanks to that realtor, we have some really nice granite countertops instead of the laminate ones that were in place previously.  Along with the granite countertops came a new kitchen sink, a nice under-mount one, and a really nice new faucet.  That's where the upgrading stopped, and the old, original-to-the-house, garbage disposal was left in place.

Like most older model garbage disposals, that one was loud.  Really loud.  And in the almost year that we have lived here, it only got louder.  For the past few weeks, it was so loud as to be almost unbearable.  Finally, about a week ago, I couldn't stand it any more and asked Al to just please stop using it.  (He's still doing the cooking and the clean-up while I'm recuperating.) The noise and the vibration were just more than I could stand!

Last Friday we had a new disposal installed.  Happy, happy, happy!  This one makes so little noise, you almost don't know it's running.  The difference is amazing.

A garbage disposal seems like such a little thing.  Until it becomes such a big annoyance.  Today, I'm thankful to have a garbage disposal.  I'm thankful to have a new, quiet garbage disposal. 

It's just one of many little things for which I'm thankful today.

I'm thankful to be recovering well from surgery.  I'm thankful for all the friends and family who have been so encouraging along this journey.  I'm thankful for all the above-and-beyond things my sweet husband has been doing over these last few weeks, like cooking and clean-up and laundry.  I'm thankful for the ice machine that helps keep the swelling down around my new knee. I'm thankful for every encouraging note and card and text and phone call that have come my way these last few weeks.  I'm thankful for my doctor and my physical therapist.  I'm thankful to have progressed from a walker to a cane. 

And I'm thankful for my new garbage disposal.

Just thankful.  Because even little things are a really big deal!

"In everything give thanks."  (1 Thessalonians 5:18)

No comments:

Post a Comment