Monday, April 18, 2016

Diary of a Knee Replacement. Week Three.

On Monday morning three weeks ago I had knee replacement surgery.  It was out with the old and in with the new.  These three weeks since surgery have gone by very quickly.  My days have been filled with exercise and physical therapy and doctor appointments and my ice machine.  All this will be very familiar to anyone who has traveled this joint replacement path.

I have walked around the house, up and down the hall, and out onto the porch more times than I can count. I have even ventured out to walk on the driveway!  I'm still using a walker, but I'm beginning to practice with a cane.  I'm not ready for full-time cane-walking quite yet, and certainly not quite ready to walk unassisted.  But I'm doing well.  Walking is getting better.  My stamina is increasing.  I'm making good progress.

Besides the walking and the exercises and the trips to physical therapy, I've done a lot of reading.  I finished a couple of books; I started and immediately discarded several more.  I'm currently reading The Braque Connection by Estelle Ryan, a tale of forged masterpieces, hidden messages, kidnappings, and other intrigue.  I'm enjoying it very much.  Once I finish this, I'm planning to read Standing in the Rainbow by Fannie Flagg, which was a gift from a friend following my surgery.

On a non-fiction front, I've just begun habits of grace by David Mathis.  Even though I haven't read very far into this one yet, I can already tell you it's one you might want to consider reading.

I've also done quite a bit of TV-watching during these three weeks as well.  I've spent time hopping back and forth between the Food Network and HGTV, with occasional stops at the DIY channel and the Travel Channel.  There was an NCIS marathon one day last week on the USA network, so I was tuned into that for the entire day.  NCIS is, after all, my favorite TV show. 

Other than the progress I've made rehabbing my new knee, I'm most pleased that I have had some productive writing time during these weeks.  I have been blogging, of course, and have a list of potential blog topics I'm considering.  After panicking over my lost notes (the outline, the notes, and the not-yet-quite-completed manuscript), I found all that over the weekend, and am now making good progress on a Christmas devotional I'm writing, which hopefully will be published in time for this year's Christmas season.  In addition, I had an article published on www.prayerideas.org,  a website devoted to prayer.  You can check it out here:  http://www.prayerideas.org/wp/how_to_pray/prayer-lifestyle/improving-your-prayer-life-by-writing-down-lists-and-prayers/

Busy, busy, busy.  Who knew recovering from knee replacement surgery would be such a busy time?

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might."  (Ecclesiastes 9:10 NASB)

No comments:

Post a Comment