Wednesday, April 6, 2016

And the Good News Is......

I have several bits of good news to report this morning.

First, I slept better last night than I have since surgery.  I only woke up once, around 3AM, and went right back to sleep.  No extended periods of sleeplessness last night.  That's very good news!

Second, my new knee felt much less stiff when I woke up this morning.  Third, my pain level when I woke up was much lower than on previous mornings.

All that is good news indeed.

So, my husband asked what's the bad news?

My response:  This knee didn't miraculously heal itself overnight!

Of course that didn't happen!  And it won't.  Because this is a process.  A lengthy one. At times, a challenging process.  But one that will be worth it in the end.

In that respect, knee replacement surgery and recovery is much like the Christian life in general.  It's a process.  It takes time.  It doesn't happen overnight.

Consider, for example, the discipline of Bible study.  Do we commit our lives to Christ and then wake up the next morning knowing all there is to know about the Bible, as though by some process of osmosis all there is to know about the Scriptures was poured into our heads overnight?  Of course not.

Understanding the Bible is a process.  One that takes time.  And effort. On a consistent basis.

So far I have had one physical therapy appointment.  I worked hard at that appointment, and continue to work hard on the exercises I have been given.  It takes time.  I don't always feel like doing it.  But it's necessary for the desired result.

To obtain the desired result - a fully functioning knee - I must consistently apply myself to the discipline of the assigned exercises.  I must commit to the process.  Over time, I will achieve the goal.

That's true of Bible study as well.  To obtain the desired result - understanding and applying the Bible to my daily life - means I must consistently apply myself to the discipline of study.  I must commit to the process.  Consistent effort means I will achieve the goal.

That's part of the good news.  Consistent effort leads to results.  Whether talking about knee replacement or about Bible study or any of the other disciplines of the Christian life, it's a principle that holds true.

Why not give it try for yourself?  Get involved in a Bible study group.  Find a Bible study plan to work through on your own.  Be part of the process.  I can't wait to hear about your results.

There will be results.  That's good news!  Wouldn't you agree?

"Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed."  (2 Timothy 2:15 KJV)

"Discipline yourself for the purpose of godliness."  (1 Timothy 4:7b NASB)

No comments:

Post a Comment