Thursday, April 28, 2016

Milestones

Milestone:  a significant event or stage in the life, progress, development, or the life of a person, nation, etc. (from dictionary.com)

We all have them.  Milestones.  Those significant events in our lives that we can look back on as events that made a difference in who we are, that contributed to our growth as individuals, or that were just a big deal in our lives.

Today is a milestone day for me.

Today marks one month since my total knee replacement surgery.  That is certainly a significant life event, one that has impacted every day of the last month and which will, I certainly hope, have a positive impact on all my future days.  This has been a challenging month.  In many ways, a frustrating month.  But today, as I mark this one month milestone, I am encouraged because I can look back and realize how far I have come in this month.  I'm certainly not where I want to be yet in terms of a fully functioning knee, but I've come a long way, and I'm stronger every day.

This is also a milestone of a different sort.  One year ago today was our last full day in the mountains.  It was on this day, one year ago, that all our furniture was loaded on a truck for the move to South Carolina.  One year ago today was our last full day in the place we had called home for more than nine years.  It was our last morning to wake up to this view:

 
 
 
I can't deny that I often miss this view.  Yet as I mark this milestone, I'm so thankful for all the experiences of this past year in our new home.  We had a wonderful nine years in the mountains.  We experienced the beauty of God's creation in remarkable ways, and during those years, God taught us much about faithfulness and trust and waiting on Him.  We learned a lot about contentment in our years in the mountains.  Those character-building lessons are what I think of most today as I mark this milestone in our lives.
 
Thinking about milestones leads me to recall the time when the Israelites crossed the Jordan River to enter the Promised Land.  You can read that account in the Old Testament book of Joshua, chapters 3 and 4.  They crossed the Jordan River very near this spot:
 
 
 
As they crossed, the priests stood in the middle of the river and the waters parted, so that the Israelites crossed the river on dry ground.  That's a pretty big deal, wouldn't you agree?  Joshua 4:1-8 tells us that after the Israelites had crossed the river, the Lord spoke to Joshua and directed that twelve stones be set up as a memorial of this river crossing.  You may be wondering why.  The answer comes in Joshua 4:22-24.
 
"Then you shall inform your children, saying 'Israel crossed this Jordan on dry ground,' .....that all the peoples of the earth may know that the hand of the LORD is mighty, so that you may fear the LORD your God forever."  (Joshua 4:22, 24 NASB)
 

It's important that we remember.  And that we testify to God's faithfulness.  That we tell our children and our children's children what God has done in our lives.  That we bear witness of all God's goodnesses to us.
 
We may not set up actual stones.  Even so, we need to mark the milestones in our lives.  We need to remember. 
 
On this significant day in my life, I'm remembering.  I'm looking back at what God has done and giving Him thanks.  I'm also looking forward, thanking Him for what He is going to do.  Because God is always at work in our lives, if we will only open our eyes to see.
 
"Bless the LORD, O my soul, and all that is within me, bless His holy name.  Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget none of His benefits."  (Psalm 103:1-2, NASB)
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment