Monday, April 25, 2016

Diary of a Knee Replacement. Four Weeks Later

What's it like to have a knee replaced?  I can't speak for everyone who has been through this experience, but for me, the first few days following surgery were not too bad.  There was some pain, but no worse than I had experienced on a consistent basis prior to surgery.  There was some nausea, probably from the pain or the pain meds.  I was really tired. 

I spent a couple of days in the hospital, not getting much rest, since they were very closely monitoring my vital signs, especially my blood pressure, which had gone pretty low.  And being awakened at 4AM by someone wanting to draw your blood is not the way to get a good night's sleep!

Since I came home from the hospital, I have spent a lot of time sitting in a chair with ice on my knee.  I read, I nap, and I watch TV.  From time to time, I practice walking, first with the walker and now with a cane.  I do my therapy exercises.  Then I sit some more!

This is how I spend a lot of my time these days - at physical therapy.

 


 
 

 
 
If you're thinking that doesn't look like much fun, you would be exactly right.  It's no fun at all.   It's hard work.
 
That's what it's like to have a knee replaced.  Hard.
 
Everybody says it will be worth it.  The jury's still out on that one.  I'll let you know.
 
 
"Rejoice always; pray without ceasing; in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."  (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 NASB)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment