Monday, March 30, 2015

Be Careful How You Walk

Yesterday was an anniversary.  On March 29, 2005, I took a wrong step.  One wrong step.  As a result of that one wrong step, I fell.  The result of that fall was a dislocated foot and a shattered ankle.  And life has never been the same.

Multiple ankle surgeries.  Hours of physical torture.  I mean therapy!  Ankle fusion.  An ankle that now has the ability to forecast the weather!

Life changed for me on that day.

I now walk differently.  I understand pain differently.  I wear different kinds of shoes than I did previously.  I'm different as a result of that one wrong step. 

March 29, 2005, started out wonderfully well, and it ended so differently.  All because of one wrong step.

One wrong step can make a huge difference to us physically.  But it can also make a huge difference in other ways as well.  Emotionally.  Mentally.  Spiritually.

Our wrong steps are not always literal, physical steps that lead to landing in a heap on the ground with broken bones.

Sometimes our wrong steps are bad choices.  Wrong thinking.  Poor decisions.  Sometimes our wrong steps are based on self-centeredness or short-sightedness.  Sometimes our wrong steps are a result of not giving God His rightful place in our lives.

Perhaps it's these kinds of "wrong steps" that the Apostle Paul had in mind when he wrote these words in his letter to the church at Ephesus:

"Therefore be careful how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise, making the most of your time, because the days are evil."  (Ephesians 5:15 NASB)

Think about that today.  And be careful how you walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment