Monday, March 9, 2015

Jump-Starting the Day

If you're at all like me, sometimes it's hard to get going in the morning.  I know that some people are considered "morning people".  I, however, am not among that group!

Because it's hard for me to get going in the morning, I sometimes need a boost.  A jump-start.  And I have found the best way to do that is with prayer and praise.

Also because I'm not a morning person, I often need a little help getting my brain in gear.  I don't always think coherent thoughts when I first get out of bed.

For that reason, I like to begin my day in the Psalms.  With words like these, from Psalm 66:

"Shout joyfully to God, all the earth; sing the glory of His name; make His praise glorious.  Say to God, 'How awesome are Your works!'"           (Psalm 66:1-2 NASB)

And with words like these, from Psalm 67:

"God be gracious to us and bless us, and cause His face to shine upon us."     (Psalm 67:1 NASB)

That's how I began my day this morning.  Praising God for His awesome deeds and praying for His blessing.

As I read further in Psalm 67, I discovered an interesting truth.  The Psalmist is asking God to be gracious.  He's asking for God's blessing.  He's asking for God's face to shine on him.  That's what he's praying for.

But why does he ask for those things?  The answer to that question comes in verse 2.

"That Your way may be known on the earth, your salvation among all nations."  (Psalm 67:2 NASB)

There's a powerful lesson for us here.  We don't ask for God's blessing on us and on our families only for our own sake.

We ask these things so that God might use us to bless others.  So that His way might be known throughout the whole earth.

Because it's not about us.

It's all and only about Him.

"God blesses us, that all the ends of the earth may fear Him."  (Psalm 67:7 NASB)

No comments:

Post a Comment