Thursday, October 24, 2013

Write It Down!

Life can be difficult, full of all sorts of challenges.  I think we would all acknowledge this to be true.  While the challenges we face may be different, we all face challenges in life.  Sometimes life is just hard.  Even so, there can be joy in the journey.

Sometimes, in the middle of particularly challenging times, it's hard to focus on anything but the difficulty.  It's hard to see the positives.  We lose our perspective.  That's when we need to stop and remember.  We need to refocus our attention off our difficulties and on to the reasons we have for joy.

This is one of the reasons for keeping a journal.  Having said that, I must confess to you that I am, at best, a sporadic journaler.  But when I look back at my journals, and when I see the ways God has blessed me and the ways He has answered my prayers, then I am so glad I took time to write it down!

If you're not in the habit of keeping a journal, why not begin today?  It doesn't have to fancy or eloquent.  It doesn't need to be leather-bound.  Just get paper and pen, and begin making note of all God's blessings to you.  Of all his grace-gifts.  Of all the reasons you have to be joyful.

Don't forget to include the "little" things.  Like the smile on your child's face when you took him for donuts after school.  Like the fact that your husband makes your coffee in the mornings.  Like the sun on the leaves outside your window.  Life a warm fire on a cold morning.

Write it all down.  Then, when the tough days come - and they will, you can go back and remember all the reasons you have to be joyful!

Write it down.  You'll be glad you did!

"But this I call to mind, and therefore I have hope.  The steadfast love of the LORD never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness."  (Lamentations 3:21-23 ESV, emphasis mine)

No comments:

Post a Comment