Thursday, October 31, 2013

Frustration!

Yesterday was a frustrating day.  There's no need to go into all the details.  I'll just tell you that it was one of "those" days.  A day when it took all my self-control not to eat an entire jar of Nutella, straight from the jar!  A day when it's a good thing I live out in the middle of nowhere, away from the lure of fast-food restaurants.  Otherwise, I would have eaten my weight in french fries!  A very frustrating day.

This morning I'm putting all that behind me.  I'm refocusing my attention on other things.  Because if I continue to rehash the frustrating events of yesterday, then my snarky, sarcastic self will take over.  And I, along with anyone who has the misfortune to be in my space, will be miserable indeed.

So, put it all behind me.  Focus on today.  And anticipate things to come.

Speaking of things to come, two months from today I will once again be in Israel.  We depart on December 30 and arrive in Tel Aviv on December 31.  It's my understanding that we will be spending our first night in Bethlehem.  To say that I am excited would be a vast understatement!  I am so looking forward to this trip, to once again walking where Jesus walked.

Before that will be Christmas and Thanksgiving.  Thanksgiving is our "family" holiday this year.  (We have an every-other-year holiday tradition in our family.  The in-laws host the celebration in the alternate years.)  Last year we had Christmas.  This year is Thanksgiving.  I'm really looking forward to that family time.  Since we don't all live in close proximity to each other, these family times are a special treasure.

And before that, I'm looking forward to November.  Al has jury duty in November, in the federal court in Asheville.  He's not looking forward to it, and is hoping to be dismissed.  My attitude is a little different, because I know that if he is chosen for jury service, that means he won't be traveling.  And after the last couple of months of his being gone more than he has been home, I'm looking forward to having him here!

So that's how I'm dealing with my frustrations today.  Turning my attention toward the things I'm anticipating.  Toward things that make me smile rather than set off my snark-meter.  I'm choosing, as an act of the will, to focus forward.  To press on.

"Forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus."  (Philippians 3:13-14 ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment