Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Did You Get My Message?

Yesterday I had one of those strange, technology-makes-no-sense-sometimes experiences.  I was checking Facebook when the little icon popped up that told me I had a message in my in-box.  I clicked on the icon and read a message that was in response to one I had sent a couple of weeks ago.  The message would have made sense if I had received it back then.  But, since the event that was being discussed in the message has already come and gone, the message I received yesterday made no sense.

So, I sent a return message questioning my friend about the timing of her message.  In fact, I asked her if she was just now responding to the message I had sent two weeks ago.

Her response was that she had responded to my original message right after I had sent it to her.  And then she asked, "did you just get this message?"

And the answer is, of course, "yes, I just got your message."

That's what falls into the makes-no-sense category.  With all the advances in technology, why did it take two weeks for an "instant" message to get from her computer to mine?

Which makes me glad that prayer doesn't work that way.  When I pray, I am confident that my request goes directly to God.  It doesn't float around in cyberspace for a couple of weeks before it gets to Him.  And I don't have to wonder if He got the message or not.

I know this because the Bible tells me so.  And that gives me great confidence.

"And this is the confidence that we have toward him, that if we ask anything according to his will he hears us.  And if we know that hehears us in whatever we ask, we know that we have the requests that we have asked of him."  (1 John 5:14-15 ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment