Monday, October 28, 2013

Making My List and Checking It Twice

You may recognize that phrase from a familiar Christmas tune.  Certainly as the holiday season approaches, people are beginning to make lists.  Lists of gifts to be purchased.  Menu lists.  Lists of cookies to be baked.  Lists of grocery items needed to prepare those menus and to bake those treats.

Nearly everyone becomes a list-maker, at least to some degree, during the holiday season.  Others are among the year-round list-makers.  (And I must include myself in this category!)  Lists are made of all sorts of things.  There are grocery lists.  Things-to-do lists.  Goal lists.  Steps-to-accomplish-the-goal lists.  And, as we focused on in one of last week's posts, there are gratitude lists.

I'm adding to my gratitude list this morning.  This morning my list looks something like this:

  • A good night's sleep.
  • Another day of life.
  • The rain that is gently falling this morning.
  • A good day yesterday.  A great time of worship.  Great fellowship.
  • Singing one of my favorite hymns yesterday.  (Holy, Holy, Holy)
  • Singing one of my favorite worship songs yesterday.  (Surely the Presence)
  • The choir sang one of my favorite songs yesterday.  (In the Presence of Jehovah)
  • This reminder in the pastor's message yesterday:  The journey is as important as the destination.  Which reminded me that seeing God at work in our lives day by day is an important part of the Christian life.
  • Al is home today, with only two days of travel this week.

Those are a few of the things I'm giving thanks for this morning. 

What about you?  What's on your list?

"We will not hide them from their children, but tell to the coming generation the glorious deeds of the LORD, and his might, and the wonders that he has done."  (Psalm 78:4 ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment