Thursday, February 7, 2013

Numbers and Lipstick - What Do They Have in Common?

I started Numbers in my Bible reading plan today.  And, like Leviticus, this is a tough read for me.  I'm not sure why, but I don't really enjoy it......at least the beginning, census-taking part and the listing-the-rules part.  Once I get past that, when I get to the journey-through-the-wilderness part, I'll like it better.

That's how Numbers is like lipstick.  At least for me.  You see, I really don't like lipstick.  That may come as a shock to those of you who know me and know how many years I spent in the "pink bubble", where I wore and sold lots of lipstick.  But now you have my confession.  I really don't like lipstick.  There.  I said it again!  I'm not really sure why I don't like it, but I do know that I much prefer lip gloss or lip balm. 

Numbers is a lot like that for me.  I would much prefer to be reading Psalms or one of the Gospels or one of Paul's Epistles.  But right now I'm reading Numbers.  Because it's there. 

Here in my life in the mountains, in my semi-retirement from my Mary Kay business, I don't wear a lot of lipstick.  Some lip gloss or balm, but not a lot of lipstick.  However, there are occasions when I do.  Because there are just some occasions when a well-dressed woman needs to wear lipstick or else the outfit, the effect, the desired result isn't complete.

That's how it is with Numbers.  To have the desired result - a complete understanding of the whole counsel of the Word of God - I need to read the whole thing.  Even the not-my-favorite parts.

"And the LORD spoke to Moses in the wilderness of Sinai, in the tent of meeting, on the first day of the second month, in the second year after they had come out of the land of Egypt, saying, 'Take a census of all the congregation of the people if Israel.....'"  (Numbers 1:1-2a ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment