Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Because It's There

I'm reading through the Bible again this year.  That's something I've been doing for a number of years now.  This year I'm following what is called "the Historical Plan", meaning that I'll be reading in pretty much the historical order that events happened, as much as that can accurately be determined.  I have used other reading plans in the past, but this is my first time to follow this plan.  One thing all the plans have in common is that they usually begin in the beginning (Genesis) and continue on from there.

Right now I'm reading in Leviticus.  And I'll just go ahead and admit that Leviticus is a tough read for me.  But every time I read Leviticus, I'm really thankful for Jesus!  Thankful that, because of His once-for-all sacrifice on the cross, I no longer live under the sacrificial system laid out in Leviticus.  And that's a really good thing, since I can never keep all these offerings and sacrifices and feasts straight in my mind, no matter how hard I try!

I've read Leviticus a number of times.  I've studied it.  I've led Bible studies on Leviticus.  You may be wondering why, since I've already admitted that it's a challenge for me.  Well, the main reason is.....because it's there!  Because it's part of Scripture.  And we're told in the New Testament that all Scripture is inspired by God, and that all Scripture is profitable.  (See 2 Timothy 3:16).  So I read it because God put it in there and He put it in there because for a reason!

Beyond that, there are some important lessons to be learned from Leviticus, even for those of us who live on this side of the Cross.  In my years of inductive Bible study, one of the study skills I have learned is to carefully observe the text.  One aspect of observing the text is looking for repeated words and phrases.  There are two that really jump out at me in Leviticus.

Over and over throughout Leviticus is the phrase "I am the LORD."  There is also the similar phrase "I am the LORD your God."  Now why would that phrase occur so frequently.  One reason may be that God was establishing, for the Israelites then and for us now, that He is in charge!  And perhaps He told them - and us - so often because they - and we  - needed reminding.  The LORD God is the authority.  We are not.  He has established the rules because He has the right to establish the rules.  Because He is God.  And we are not.  And no matter what has changed in history or in culture over the centuries since those words were first written, that truth remains. 

There is another word frequently used in Leviticus.  The word "holy".  Here in the 21st century, with our casual dress and our casual lifestyles and our ever more casual approach to God, this is a word we would do well to remember. We're told repeatedly in Leviticus that God is holy and that His name is holy.  And because He is holy, He has certain expectations of His people.

"By those who come near Me I will be treated as holy, and before all the people I will be honored."  (Leviticus 10:3 NASB)

What does it mean to be holy?  The Holman Bible Dictionary defines holy
as a "characteristic unique to God's nature.  It defines the godness of God."
It is further defined as "set apart, perfect, transcendent, spiritually pure."
Certainly those characteristics describe our understanding of who God is.

And understanding who He is, understanding His character, makes me love Him more.  Helps me to worship and honor Him more.  Gives me even greater desire to be all that He desires me to be.

So that's why I read Leviticus.  Because of what I learn about God, about His character and His ways.  Because it is profitable for me to do so. Because it's there.

"For I am the LORD your God.  Consecrate yourselves therefore, and be holy, for I am holy.......thus you shall be holy, for I am holy."  (Leviticus 11:45, 46 NASB)

No comments:

Post a Comment