Monday, February 4, 2013

A Snow Day



Snow started here on Saturday afternoon and continued through the night.  We woke up Sunday to a beautiful winter wonderland.  Taking into account that we live on a very steep mountain road in a remote location, these kinds of days are best spent at home.  And that's what we did.

We missed being with our church family in person, but we were with them in spirit via the live internet streaming of the morning worship service. 

We had homemade vegetable soup, leftover from a few days ago, for lunch.

After lunch, I did some reading while Al and Molly napped.  There was an NCIS marathon on television, which was much better than hours of seemingly never-ending Super Bowl pre-game shows.  That's the worst part of Super Bowl Sunday, in my humble opinion! 

I spent a lot of time just looking out the window, enjoying the snow.  I'm quite certain I enjoyed it much more from indoors than I would have out in that freezing cold!

This was a beautiful snow.  Sometimes up here the wind blows so much that the snow just blows away, but that wasn't the case this time.  The snow fell gently through the afternoon and evening.  A little snow was still falling on Sunday morning.  Just beautiful.  And so peaceful to look at.

As I sat and looked at that pristine snow, I was reminded of one of my Daddy's favorite hymns, "Whiter Than Snow".  I don't think it's even in our hymnals any more.  This is the line I remembered......"Break down every idol, cast out every foe; now wash me and I shall be whiter than snow."

And that led me to remember another old hymn we don't sing any more either......"Though your sins be as scarlet, though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow. They shall be as white as snow."

I love much of the new worship music we sing these days.  But I love those old hymns too.  I'm glad they were part of my growing up years.  And I'm glad that I can call them to mind now.  I'm thankful for the truth I learned singing those old hymns.  And I'm thankful for snow days so that I can look at the white snow and call those truths to mind.

"Come now, let us reason together, says the LORD:  though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow."  (Isaiah 1:18 ESV)

"Wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow."  (Psalm 51:7b ESV)


No comments:

Post a Comment