Thursday, February 14, 2013

42 Years and Counting.....

It was 42 years ago that I met my sweetheart, my knight-in-shining-armor, at a Valentine Party.   I had no idea on that February evening in 1971 what a wonderful love story I would get to live!  Just over a year later, in June of 1972, I married that wonderful man and what a wonderful life we have had together!  (That's a lot of "wonderfuls", isn't it?  But it really has been wonderful!!)

Lots of Valentine's Days have come and gone since 1971 when we first met. And we have celebrated in lots of different ways.

Some years there were flowers and candy and elegant dinners in fancy restaurants.  Some years there were quiet dinners at home.  Some years there were fancy, store-bought cards.  And in the years when we really couldn't afford that, there were homemade cards.

Some years we have been at home.  Some years, like last year, Al's job required him to be out of town and I traveled with him.  We spent the holiday in a hotel.  Last year it was a Residence Inn in Orlando, and he brought me chocolate-dipped strawberries from the Ghiaradelli store at Downtown Disney!

This year, like so many before it, he is in another city, and I'm here at home.  We enjoyed some beautiful roses that he bought last week while he was here.  I'm glad he bought them last week so we could enjoy them together.

But whether or not we are in the same city, and whether or not there are any roses, and whether or not there's a fancy dinner, and whether we have plenty of money or not so much (and over the years, there's been some of both!), I am so grateful that our paths crossed at that Valentine party back in 1971.  I am so greatly blessed that this wonderful man is my husband, my soulmate, my very best friend, my knight-in-shining-armour, my Valentine!

Happy Valentine's Day, Sweetheart!  I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment