Tuesday, February 19, 2013

It's What's Inside That Counts

Have you ever wanted to be taller?  Or have a different eye color?  Or be different in some other way?

I always wanted dark brown hair and dark brown eyes.  Now, the hair color is something I could do something about.  But it's not likely I would have dark brown eyes with two blue-eyed parents.  And it's not likely I would have naturally had dark brown hair, since a blonde and a redhead were my parents!

I was always a bit envious of people with tan or olive skin tones, like Italians or those of Middle Eastern descent.  Again, that's not likely for this girl of Irish/Scots/English ancestry!

And I always wanted to be taller.  These days, that's really a very practical wish, since I never can reach the things on the top shelf and am always having to ask for help!  Again, considering genetics, it was quite unlikely that I would be anything other than the short woman that I am!

Those are all things I can't change no how much I might want to.  Well, except for the hair color.  But even that wouldn't be a permanent change!  And isn't what's on the inside what really counts?

That's what I've been thinking about this morning.  What's on the inside.  And how what's on the inside is reflected on the outside.  By behavior.  By attitude.  By what we say.

This thought process began as I was reading in Numbers this morning.  (Yes, I'm still in Numbers!  Just a few more chapters and I will gladly move on to Deuteronomy!!).  As I was reading in Numbers chapter 30, I came across this phrase......thoughtless utterance.  Hmmmm......

Chapter 30 is a chapter about making vows.  But that phrase in verse 6 really got me.  The full phrase is "any thoughtless utterance by which she has bound herself."  And that phrase has really grabbed me this morning. 

How often have I spoken "thoughtless utterances"?  How often have I wished what just came out of my mouth could go back in? 

But doesn't what comes out of my mouth reflect what's on the inside?  After all, we're told in Proverbs, "as he [or she] thinketh in his heart, so is he."  (Proverbs 23:7 KJV)

If that's true - and it is - then shouldn't I be more concerned about what's on the inside than about externals like eye color or hair color.  Or any other external, for that matter.  Like fashion.  Or makeup.  Or hair style.  Not that we won't be interested in those things.  It's just a matter of prioritizing.  Because it's what's inside that really counts.

This morning God used that verse in Numbers to really speak to my heart.  That's an example of how all Scripture is useful and profitable.  Sometimes for doctrine.  Sometimes for reproof.  Sometimes for correction.  Sometimes for instruction in righteousness. 

Something to think about.

"Do not let your adorning be external - the braiding of hair and the putting on of gold jewelry or the clothing you wear - but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious."  (1 Peter 2:3-4 ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment