Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Grumbling or Grateful?

This is how my Bible reading began this morning......."Then all the congregation raised a loud cry, and the people wept that night.  And all the people of Israel grumbled against Moses and Aaron."  (Numbers 14:1-2 ESV)

This wasn't their first grumble.  The grumbling actually began back in chapter 11.  They were grumbling because they didn't have all the good food they had back in Egypt, so they wanted to go back.  I guess they forgot they were slaves back in Egypt!  And now they are grumbling because they have heard that the occupants of the Promised Land are big guys, and they are afraid.  And they think it would be better to go back to Egypt.  Really??!!  Again, did they forget they were slaves in Egypt?

In fairness to those Israelites, I have traveled through the Sinai.  On our first trip to the Holy Land, our travels began in Cairo (before the Arab Spring!) and we followed the Exodus route down to Mt. Sinai and then back up to Israel.  Even though I was in an air-conditioned motor coach with all the water and fruit juice and soda I could have wanted, I did grow weary of the scenery.  It was a long ride.  And everything looked the same. We spent two days instead of 40 years, but I was ready for it to be over!  So I do have some sympathy for those Israelites.  Even so, going back into slavery rather than trusting God's plan seems a bit extreme.

Somehow, as my mind takes its wierd twists and turns, all that has triggered some thoughts about the Lenten season.  I've read with interest various blogs and Facebook posts about what people are giving up for Lent.  Without meaning at all to be judgmental or disrespectful, many of these "sacrifices" remind me a lot of these grumbling Israelites.  Often it seems that the Lenten fast is done, not out of any desire to draw closer to God or to prepare the heart to celebrate Easter, but out of resentful duty.  As in, "well, it's time for Lent again so I guess I need to figure out something to give up because that's what I'm supposed to do even though I don't want to."
And, quite frankly, and again without any intent to be disrespectful, I have a hard time understanding how not eating chocolate for 40 days will draw you closer to Christ.  It may be good for your health.  You might lose a pound or two, depending on just how much chocolate you regularly consume.  But unless the time you had previously spent eating chocolate is now spent in prayer and/or Bible study in an effort to draw closer to Christ, then what is really the point?  Particularly if the entire 40 days will be spent saying, "I can't have that because I gave it up for Lent", all done  with a "poor me" facial expression!

I have also been reading about a number of people who are taking a more proactive approach.  Instead of giving up this or that for Lent, they are focusing on being grateful.  This intentional gratitude seems to me far more likely to turn the focus to the Source of all blessings.  Rather than grumbling about what I don't have or can't have, actually paying attention to what I do have and being thankful........doesn't that seem like a wonderful way to deepen my relationship with my Lord?  To draw closer to Him?  Isn't it a wonderful way to worship Him as I focus my attention on Him and on the blessings He so graciously gives?  And how about taking it a step farther and keeping a journal over these next 40 days - and even beyond - actually paying attention to and making note of all the blessings received, both big and small. 

I didn't grow up in a church where we really observed Lent and followed the tradition of fasting for this period.  Even so, as an adult, I have come to embrace the idea of preparing for the Easter celebration in a way that goes beyond buying new clothes and dyeing eggs.  And for me, being focused intentionally on blessings is a way to do that.

What about you?  Are you grumbling over what you've given up or over what you don't have, or are you grateful?
 
"Count your many blessings.  Name them one by one. 
Count your many blessings; see what God has done."
-Johnson Oatman, Jr.

1 comment:

  1. This year, I'd say, I'm grateful. But that has certainly not always been the case : )

    ReplyDelete