Thursday, June 17, 2010

Thursday's Thoughts

Let's begin with a cute story about one of my grandsons........AJ's Bible verse on Monday night at Vacation Bible School was "The heavens declare the glory of God and the firmament sheweth His handiwork." That's Psalm 19:1 in the KJV.  Here's how AJ quoted the verse:  "The heavens declare the glory of God and the furniture sheweth His handiwork."  Did you chuckle?  I did!  That's really cute when it comes from the mouth of a four year old.  But as I thought about that, it occurred to me that there are many adults who do the same thing......maybe not quite so obviously.  But is it not true that Scripture is often misquoted, taken out of context, or misinterpreted, just to keep it in line with one's own particular viewpoint?   I'm not talking about the times our memory fails us, but those times when, whether deliberately or not, we are not "accurately handling the Word of truth."  (See 2 Timothy 2:15)

What's the solution?  I think one way we combat this problem is to do exactly what we have been doing in these recent months.  Slow down and study the Word for ourselves, make deliberate effort to observe, interpret and apply the Word accurately.  That's why I love the inductive method of study so much......we go directly to the Word itself as our primary source of information and we slow down (a challenge in our current busy, busy world) and take time to let the Word speak directly to us.

I'm a little bit sad to be finished with our study of Psalm 119!  I have been so blessed by this Psalm!  As I read the entire Psalm again yesterday, I was struck once again by how often the psalmist made the request "teach me Your statutes."  I think I counted nine times that phrase is used!  (If I counted right!)  And as we finish our study of this particular Psalm, that remains my prayer as well......"teach me Your statutes."  I suppose you could say that phrase, along with verse 38 ("Establish Thy word to Thy servant, as that which produces reverence for Thee.") are two of my biggest "take-aways" from this study.  Those requests are my on-going prayers as I continue in my study of God's Word. 

I'm looking forward to beginning a new study with you next week, a topical study on the names of God, and to getting to know our God better by knowing His names.  I hope you'll join me on the journey and invite your friends as well.  And would you be praying with me as I am praying toward beginning a local Bible study group here in my home.  There are a number of challenges associated with that, but will you just pray that God will give me His wisdom and direction concerning this study, when to begin and what portion of Scripture to study first.  Thank you so much!  I'll meet you back here on Monday as our next journey begins, beginning in Psalm 20.

No comments:

Post a Comment