Wednesday, June 30, 2010

The Big Picture

A dear friend of mine recently lost her husband.  As we were talking a few days ago about these last months of her husband's battle with cancer, and about how life has changed for her now that he's gone, she mentioned something John always said.....not only during his cancer journey, but over the other years of his life as well......that God sees the big picture and we don't.  I think that's an important truth for us to remember.

Often we're tempted to question God.  In conversations with friends just in the last week, there is much we could find to question.  There's the friend whose husband has just received a serious medical diagnosis.  There are several friends with family members battling cancer and other serious illnesses.  There are friends dealing with financial challenges.....and depression.....and bereavement.  There's a lot of "stuff" we have to deal with in this life.  Through it all, it helps to remember that God sees the big picture.  And to remember that God is in control.  That God is sovereign.  That He is El Elyon.

And that brings us to the point of this study.  As I've said before, we're not just interested in learning some names for God and some definitions.  I pray this is much more than just an academic exercise!  How I pray that we will get to know our God better as we learn His names.  That we will know Him in a deeper and more intimate way.  That we will take these truths we are discovering in the Scriptures and will apply them to our lives.  That we will truly be able to say "The name of the Lord is MY strong tower."

Here are the Scripture passages I would like you to examine today:
  • Job 1:1-12
  • Job 2:1-10
  • Luke 22:31
What do you learn about the sovereignty of God?  Who is in control?  How do you know?  What difference does that make in your life?  How does what you have learned enable you to face today's circumstances - whatever they may be?

"Remember the former things long past, for I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is no one like Me, declaring the end from the beginning and from ancient times things which have not been done, saying, 'My purpose will be established, and I will accomplish all My good pleasure'; calling a bird of prey from the east, the man of My purpose from a far country.  Truly I have spoken; truly I will bring it to pass.  I have planned it, surely I will do it." (Isaiah 46:9-11)

No comments:

Post a Comment