Thursday, June 10, 2010

Application

If you did yesterday's assignment - researching the word "revive" - you learned that the Hebrew word which is translated "revive" is the word haya, which means to be alive, to live, to keep alive, to remain alive, to sustain life.  (These definitions come from The Complete Word Study Dictionary, Old Testament and The Theological Wordbook of the Old Testament.)

As we look back over Psalm 119, we have seen David pray often to be revived:
  • v. 25 - revive me according to Your word.
  • v. 37 - revive me in Your ways.
  • v. 40 - revive me through Your righteousness
  • v. 88 - revive me according to Your lovingkindness.
  • v. 107 - revive me, O LORD, according to Your word.
  • v. 149 - revive me, O LORD, according to Your ordinances.
  • v. 154 - revive me according to Your word.
  • v. 156 - revive me according to Your ordinances.
  • v. 159 - revive me according to Your lovingkindness.
So, as we review these findings, here's my question to you today.......how are we revived by the Word?  Consider that carefully and let's reason together.  What would be necessary in our lives for us to be revived by the Word of God?  A desire, a need for being revived.  That's part of it.  But how can the Word revive us unless we are spending time in it?  Unless we value it?  Unless we know what it says?

Can you think of a time -  or times - when the Word has revived you?  Do you find yourself in need of reviving right now? 

Obviously, one of the things we have seen in the psalmist's life is his love for God and for God's Word.  We have seen his commitment to follow God's ways.  So the question for us is this......how does the psalmist's relationship with God and His Word compare to our own?  The psalmist had a longing to understand God's ways, His precepts.  What about you and me?  This is our application point for today......something to think about.

"Establish Your word to Your servant, as that which produces reverence for You." (Psalm 119:38)

No comments:

Post a Comment