Thursday, March 6, 2014

Long Enough

"The LORD our God said to us in Horeb, 'You have stayed long enough at this mountain.'"  (Deuteronomy 1:6 ESV)

I have just finished reading the book of Numbers in my daily Bible reading, and this morning I began reading Deuteronomy.  I read this verse and I was encouraged concerning our desire to move away from this mountain and relocate.  Yes, I am aware that I have plucked that completely out of its context to apply to my situation.  Even so, it was an encouragement.

The book of Numbers is the story of the Israelites wandering in the wilderness before they entered the Promised Land.  (Entering the Promised Land doesn't come until the book of Joshua.)  The reason they wandered so long - 40 years - is because of their disobedience and rebellion.  Even so, I am encouraged by the reading of their story.

There are a few key points that stand out to me, that are the source of my encouragement.

First, God always has a plan and His plan is always best.

Second, there are consequences for not following His plan.  Consequences for disobedience.  Consequences for rebellion.

But, third, the consequences don't last forever.  No, all the individuals were not allowed to enter the Promised Land (consequences), but the tribes of Israel did go into the land God had promised them.  They had wandered in the wilderness for a long time, but the wandering didn't last forever.

How does this apply to you and me?

God has a plan.  His plan is always best.  When we fail to follow His plan, or when we rebel against it, there are consequences.  We may do some wandering.  But it won't last forever.  God doesn't punish us because He is spiteful or vindictive, but in order that we might learn that His way is best.  ("Do not despise the LORD's discipline or be weary of his reproof, for the LORD reproves him whom he loves."   Proverbs 3:11-12a ESV)

I was encouraged for my own circumstances when I read Deuteronomy 1:6 this morning.  And I was challenged as well.  Challenged to be sure that I am following God's way.  To be sure that I know His will and His ways.  To be diligent to know His Word.  So that I don't have to wonder.  Or wander.

"I will meditate on your precepts and fix my eyes on your ways.  I will delight in your statutes; I will not forget your word."  (Psalm 119:15-16 ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment