Thursday, March 13, 2014

Empty Words

Empty words.  How often we utter them.  Words like......

I'll call you.  But you don't.

I'll pray for you.  But you forget.

Yes, I'll be glad to do that.  But you don't.

Even sometimes I love you.  But uttered out of habit more than sincerity.

Empty words.

We don't intend to forget.  We don't intend for our words to be empty.

Perhaps we've become so accustomed to empty promises and rhetoric from politicians that it has rubbed off on us.

Perhaps we've become so busy that we don't even pay attention to what we are saying.

Perhaps we say what we think we're supposed to say, what we think the other person wants to hear, whether we mean it or not.

It's sad, really.  Words are powerful things.  They have power to wound and to heal.  To tear down and to build up. 

And because of that, they should not be uttered carelessly or hastily.  They should be chosen carefully.  We should say what we mean, and mean what we say.  Not just say some empty words.


"Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight, O LORD, my rock and my redeemer."  (Psalm 19:14 ESV)


No comments:

Post a Comment