Wednesday, March 19, 2014

It's Almost Over

On this last day of winter, a phrase from Shakespeare comes to mind.  This has definitely been "the winter of our discontent."  (And yes, I realize that I have taken that phrase completely out of its context.)

This has been a long, long winter.  I, along with many others, have complained loudly and frequently about this never-ending winter.  About frigid temperatures.  About snow.  About gray, gloomy days. 

But the calendar says it's almost over.  Spring arrives tomorrow.  I am not so naive as to believe that, at least on this mountaintop, we will suddenly have warm days and flowers and never-ending sunshine.  That there will be no more cold and gloomy days.  Spring typically arrives very late here.  Even so, it's encouraging to know that, at least on the calendar, spring is almost here.  Winter is almost over.

We have been a very discontented people during this winter.  We have whined and complained.  We could (meaning I could) have, or should have, done a better job of listening to the Apostle Paul, who said "I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content."  (Philippians 4:17 ESV).  Somehow I don't think he would have been whining so much about the weather.

And I confess to you that I have been quite a whiner this winter.  Shame on me!

But winter is almost over.  And I'm grateful.  I'm looking forward with great joy and anticipation to flowers and blue skies and sunshine and warm temperatures.  I'm sure you are as well.

Winter is almost over.  I wonder what will we complain about next?

"Shall we indeed accept good from God and not accept adversity?"  (Job 2:10 NASB)

No comments:

Post a Comment