Tuesday, May 31, 2011

What Happened to Spring?

When we moved from Florida to the mountains a few years ago, one of the appealing facts we were given about weather here in the mountains was "long spring, short summer".  And for the first couple of years, that proved to be true.

 This year, however, is turning out to be a direct contradiction to that forecast.

Spring was very slow coming, at least to our mountaintop.  It finally got here.......we finally got leaves on our trees, grass growing (at least in the few places it actually grows), and some flowers blooming.....and we were enjoying having our meals on the porch, relaxing in the recliner on the porch with a good book (or for a nap!). We have really enjoyed these couple of weeks of spring, and now summer is here already??!!  What's up with that??

Temperatures here on the mountain have been in the 90s for the last couple of days.  That's just crazy, especially in May!  It's hotter here than in our previous "hometown" in Florida!! 

I'm not sure what meteorologists would say is the cause of this unusual (and unwanted) heat wave.  I'm sure some would credit it to "global warming".  But since I'm not on that bandwagon, I will just say that I'm not particularly enjoying it.  This is the weather I expect in August, not in May.  So, last evening we broke down and turned on the air conditioning.  I really hated to do that so early.  But there's no point in sitting around sweating when all we needed to do was flip a switch, and wonderful cool air would be flowing through the ducts.  Gotta love central air conditioning!!

I don't know how long this heat wave is going to last.  Not long, I hope.  I have really been enjoying spring and would like to have it back!

No comments:

Post a Comment