Monday, May 16, 2011

Snake on the Porch

We had a little excitement here on the mountain Friday.  Molly was barking like crazy!  It's really not unusual (or particularly exciting!) that she was barking....she barks at many things.....chipmunks, birds, anyone who dares drive up our road, and the list could go on! But this barking was different.  It was sort of bark growl bark growl bark growl.  I went out to the porch to see what was going on.  And my breath caught in my throat.  She was barking at a snake.

Thankfully, Al was home. I was really glad about that......dealing with snakes is not my favorite thing!  I called him down in the office.  He came up and took care of the snake.  His comment about the snake started me thinking.  It was "what is a snake doing up here" or something like that.  We very rarely have snakes this high up the mountain.   I can think of no good reason why there would be a snake on my porch.  So I began to think about that snake and why it might have decided to venture up this way.  Which led me to some deeper thinking.  (Trying to figure out how my mind works and the twists and turns it takes is a challenge for another day.)

Just a few minutes before the barking began, I had been on the porch sweeping, completely oblivious to the fact that a snake was hanging out under the recliner I was planning to plant myself in with a good book just a few minutes later!  That was really what I began to consider.  How oblivious we often are to the "snakes" in our lives.  To THE snake, that "deceiver, the serpent of old" (Revelation 12:9) and his sneaky attempts to disrupt our lives, to deceive us, to mess with our minds.  How busy he is in our personal lives, in our homes, even in our churches.

I'm going to be a lot more cautious on the porch this summer.  I'll be looking for snakes under every chair before I get too comfortable!

"Be on the alert.  Your adversary, the devil, prowls about like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour."  1 Peter 5:8 NASB)

No comments:

Post a Comment