Monday, January 4, 2010

Waiting

Waiting is not something I do well. That could probably be said of most Americans. We are, in general, a very impatient society. We want everything.......and I do mean everything......instantly! The often-used term "microwave society" is certainly appropriate as instant gratification is the theme of everything about our society. But this morning I was struck in my quiet time by how often I came across the word "wait".

I freely admit to being a not-particularly-patient person. I confess that I more often than not am wrapped up in a "want what I want when I want it" mindset. That I more often than not have a "just do it" attitude. That I am not particularly tolerant when there is any delay at all in responding to what I have expressed as something I want done......except, of course, when it comes to my grandchildren! I am far more patient where they are concerned!!!

But this morning I find myself pondering that word "wait", feeling very aware that there's a lesson for me to learn here! In fact, I find myself living that very lesson out as I have to wait for so many things these days........someone to bring my coffee (try hopping across the room on one foot with a cup of coffee in your hand!!) or to fix my meals or to help me with so many of the little "ordinary" tasks of life. And I'm learning to cope and to find creative solutions for these challenges.

The lesson goes far deeper I think. As I have read just this morning so many verses and so much devotional commentary focused on this one concept, I know there's much more to this waiting thing than just learning to be patient if my coffee is delayed a few minutes! One author described the "waiting for the Lord" this way....."an eager anticipation to see what the Lord has in store for this day, looking for opportunities to live for the Lord today." He was writing a devotional thought on these verses in Psalm 130....."I wait for the Lord, my soul waits and in His Word do I hope. My soul waits for the Lord more than those who watch for the morning."

So, as I am waiting.....for the snow to stop, for my ankle to heal, for the coffee to be ready, for whatever, my prayer is that I will be eagerly anticipating what the Lord has in store for this day. That I will be attentive to what He is trying to teach me. That I will be obedient to whatever He says. And I am reminded that time spent in God's waiting room is never wasted time.

"but they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint." (Isaiah 40:31)

No comments:

Post a Comment