Friday, January 8, 2010

Something to Think About

One of the things I've enjoyed doing lately is playing a game called Bejeweled Blitz on Facebook. I was playing this game before I had my recent surgery, but now that I have so much time on my hands I find myself playing more frequently. I've learned a couple of things playing this game. One is that one should not attempt to play this game immediately after taking a pain pill! A game that requires you to be observant and to respond quickly is much more difficult when those abilities have been somewhat impaired by Vicodin!!

But on a more serious note, I think I have learned a valuable spiritual lesson from this game. Now before you roll your eyes too much, let me explain. I noticed a few days ago that when the sound was turned all the way down on the computer while I play, I actually get better scores. You see, Bejeweled Blitz is a timed game, and as time begins to run out, the warning "sounds" are really creepy and for me, quite distracting. I discovered that when I don't pay any attention to the sound effects and just play the game, I actually do much better!

Maybe it's a stretch, but it illustrates for me the point of what the Apostle Paul was saying in Hebrews 12:1 ("lay aside every weight and the sin which so eagerly entangles us, and run with endurance the race set before us...."). As I'm playing the game, if I turn off the sound, if I don't let myself be distracted by the sound, then I am actually able to play the game better and with a better outcome. In the same way, in the "game" of life, if I set aside all the things that distract me from running with endurance the race God has set before me.....if I focus on the "race" instead of listening for the clock to count down.....then perhaps I will be able to play the "game" better and have a better outcome as well. Much like focusing on the effort rather than the results. Something to think about.....

No comments:

Post a Comment