Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Spring Cleaning

I'm in the middle of spring cleaning.  But let me go on record that there is something wrong with the concept of "spring" cleaning when it is snowing outside!!  So far I've cleaned out closets and drawers, started a really big pile of stuff for Goodwill, and my kitchen has really clean floors.  The window washing will have to wait.  Until the snow stops.  If it ever does.

My ultimate role model for spring cleaning is my mother.  She did spring cleaning twice a year.  I suppose it would more accurately be called spring cleaning and fall cleaning.  I always thought it was a bit redundant.  She cleaned so much on a weekly basis that there really wasn't a need for a special cleaning.  No dust bunny dared show up in my mother's house!

As I've been in this process of cleaning my house, it has occurred to me that this is a good time for some mental/spiritual spring cleaning as well.  So, as I am dusting all those hard-to-reach corners and cleaning out unused clothing from closets, I am also attempting to get the cobwebs out of my mind as well.  This has been a good opportunity to examine some of my attitudes, to get rid of what one of my mentors has often referred to as stinkin' thinkin'. 

I'm not one of those women who just loves to clean.  I love for things to be clean; I just don't enjoy the process.  And I'm not particularly enjoying the process of mental spring cleaning either.  But the end result will be so worth it!

"Create in me a clean hear, O God, and renew a right spirit within me."  (Psalm 51:10)

No comments:

Post a Comment