Thursday, April 28, 2011

A Rough Night

Last night a rough night.  Nothing like what folks in Alabama had to deal with.  But a rough night.  Something.....not sure what.......woke me up at about 12:30.  Maybe it was the sound of the wind.  Maybe it was the thunder.  Or the lightning.  Or the sound of furniture blowing across the porch.  Or the sound of a door slamming at the other end of the house.  (The windows were open, so the wind blew in with a vengeance!)

I got up and closed all the windows.  I turned on the tv to see what I could find out.  We were under a tornado watch, although some nearby areas here in the mountains were under tornado warning.  I went back to bed and tried to sleep.  I couldn't. 

Molly was whimpering in her crate.  She is terrified of storms.......of all loud noises, really.  So I put her in bed with me......something I NEVER do!!  Al was out of town, so it was just us "girls".  We lay there for a while, listening to the sounds of the storm.  Well, I was listening.  She was just whimpering.

I decided it might be best if we went to the basement.  We stayed down there for about an hour.  The house was shaking; the rain was beating down; the wind was howling.  We were scared.  After about an hour, things calmed down a bit, so we came back upstairs and back to bed.  It was a while before I went to sleep.  The thunder resumed.  There was more lightning.  More wind.  More rain.  I was scared.  And Al was out of town.

It all reminded me of another spring night, about 5 years ago.  Our first spring in this house.  No storm that night.  But Molly and I spent several hours huddled in the bathroom in the dark.  She was too scared that night to even whimper.  She just trembled.  I was scared, but trying to stay calm.  All because of a mother bear and two cubs on the front porch right outside my bedroom window.

Al was out of town that night, too!

"When I am afraid, I will put my trust in You."  (Psalm 56:3NASB)

No comments:

Post a Comment