Wednesday, April 13, 2011

My Best Friend

Do you ever get a song stuck in your head?  I have one this morning.  It's a song about a friend.  And as I keep singing it over and over, I also have random thoughts about friendship running through my brain.  So I thought I would share.

One thought is that a friend is someone who listens.  Who really pays attention.  Who actually hears what you are saying.  And knows what you mean, even if you don't express it well.

A friend is someone who will tell you the truth, not just tell you what they think you want to hear.  Sometimes words aren't even necessary!  As an example, my friend Jean H. and I were shopping together a couple of weeks ago.  And she got that look on her face that said "I don't care what that Chico's lady says......don't buy that!!".  Do you know what I mean?

Another example takes me back to my "music minister" days.  Often I would get an idea......especially around time for Christmas or Easter musicals......one of those ideas that I thought was absolutely fabulous and would make ALL the difference in the production!  Those times when my creative side got a little carried away!!  And my sweet husband (also my very best friend!) would calmly say things like.......you might want to think about that one some more.  Or....are you really sure that's what you want?  Or....I don't think that will work and this is why.  More often than not, he was right.......and I was really glad he told me the truth instead of just going along with my idea.  Of course, every now and then, I had a really good idea......and he was completely supportive!

A friend is someone who laughs with you......not "at" you.  Who will reason through a "sticky" situation with you.  Who will cry with you.  Who knows just when you need a hug.  And is more than willing to give one....or more!

We hear a lot these days about BFFs.........I have LOTS of those!!  Those special people who will share lunch.......and shopping.....and chocolate......and pie......and Easter Bunny cake!!  You know who you are!  Who share the love of good music, or a good book, or all things Jane Austen.

But back to that song in my head.  It's a little song I learned long ago.....and sang often as a child....at the First Baptist Church in Landrum, SC.  Maybe you know it, too.  If you do, sing along with me!

My best friend is Jesus.......love Him, love Him.
My best friend is Jesus.....love Him!

No comments:

Post a Comment