Friday, April 1, 2011

A Bad Joke

It's April Fool's Day.  Never one of my favorite "holidays".  Before you jump to the conclusion that I have no sense of humor, let me offer a bit of explanation.  I do, in fact, have a sense of humor.  I love to laugh.  I love a good joke......but I don't like "practical jokes" at all.  I don't find anything funny about having the faucet rigged to spray water over me (over somebody else, maybe, but not over me!!!).  I don't laugh at all about having a fake roach in the bottom of my coffee cup.  Those kinds of pranks don't amuse me at all.

And I was definitely not amused when I got out of bed and looked out the window this morning.  Snow.  Again.  This does not make me happy.  I am not laughing.  This is a very bad April Fool's joke.  I expected snow in April when we lived in Colorado.  Or Connecticut.  Or Minnesota.  But not in North Carolina.  This is the South!  It isn't supposed to snow here in April.

This is one of those days when I struggle with that verse in 1 Thessalonians....."in everything give thanks for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."  I'm having a hard time with that one today.  This is a day when my usual positivity takes a real hit.  It's a day when, even though I'm a strong believer in the sovereignty of God and I know that God is in control of all things, I still struggle......I want to ask Him "why"!  Is this really necessary??!!

It isn't that we're in the middle of a blizzard.  We're not snowed in.  It isn't that bad.  But it is a very gray day with the ground covered with white stuff.  Not the way I would do April.  Yes, I know I live in the mountains.  Right now I would very much like to be somewhere else!

"Praise the Lord!  Praise the Lord from the heavens; Praise Him in the heights; Praise Him, all His angels, Praise Him, all His hosts; Praise Him, sun and moon; Praise Him, all stars of light;.........for He commanded and they were created.......Praise the Lord from the earth.......fire and hail, snow and clouds......Let them praise the name of the Lord; for His name alone is exalted; His glory is above earth and heaven."  (from Psalm 147)

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry for your snow. Thanks for your birthday wishes on Facebook. It's not my birthday. Sorry for that, too. April Fools. :)

    ReplyDelete