Wednesday, August 17, 2016

The Blessings of My Morning Walk

It might seem something of an oxymoron to think of my morning walks as blessings. But I do.

First, the fact that I am able to do this is a blessing.  Just a few short months ago, in the weeks following knee replacement surgery, I could barely make it to the end of our very short driveway.  Prior to knee replacement, even the thought of going out for a walk made me laugh.  Or cry.  Depending on how much my knee was hurting on that particular day.  So being able to walk, up and down hills, for a mile and sometimes even longer, is a blessing indeed!

While I'm walking, I am able to notice the beauty around me.  Lush lawns. Crape myrtles still boasting their summer blossoms.  Green leaves on the trees. The morning sun.  The neighborhood bunny.  So much beauty in the world God has given us.  What a blessing!

Occasionally I see a neighbor, coming out to get the morning paper, or out for their own walk.  It's a blessing to have neighbors, after years of living on the side of a mountain, a long way from anywhere.

One of the greatest blessings of my morning walks is the opportunity to pray.  To pray for the neighbors I see while I'm walking.  To pray for friends and neighbors as I pass their homes.  And to pray for others God brings to mind as I'm walking.

This morning's prayer time was particularly special, as this week I've been praying for students and teachers beginning a new school year.  Today I prayed for my grandson who is beginning his 5th grade year today.  I prayed for my grandson who began his 4th grade year a couple of weeks ago.  I prayed for their parents and for their teachers.  What a privilege and what a blessing it is to pray!

Other friends came to mind this morning as well.  Friends in Louisiana.  A friend in Texas battling breast cancer.  A friend in North Carolina whose husband is very near the end of his journey here on earth.  So many friends.  So many needs.  What a blessed privilege to lift them before the Father!

Some mornings it's hard to get these old bones moving.  Some mornings I just don't want to.  Some mornings it's so hot and so humid that I think I can't bear it for another minute.  Even on those days, my walks are a blessing.

I'm so blessed to have these times to pray.  And I'm so blessed to be able to walk.

So blessed.  And so very thankful.

"Bless the LORD, O my soul, and all that is within me, bless His holy name.  Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget none of His benefits." (Psalm 103:1-2 NASB)

No comments:

Post a Comment