Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Dealing with Disappointment

We survived the primary season.  We survived the convention season.  Now we find ourselves in full campaign season.  And we're already weary of it all.  In less than one hundred days, this presidential campaign season will be history, but right now many are wondering how much more of this we can stand!

Many people are passionate about their particular candidate.  Many - perhaps most - find themselves struggling to support either candidate.  Many - perhaps most - are disillusioned by the process.  Many - perhaps most - are disappointed and disillusioned and even disgusted by the way this campaign season has unfolded. 

In years past, even when we had strong disagreements about issues and about candidates, we the people were able to disagree without being disagreeable.  Social media has changed all that.

If nothing else, this year's campaign reveals a country that is deeply divided.  Divided not only about issues, but about candidates, and about whether to even bother voting at all.  Disappointment with the process has many contemplating staying home on election day. 

I understand the disappointment.  My first choice is not on the ballot.  Nor my second choice.  Not even my third or fourth!  I'm disappointed in the options.  But these are the options from which I must choose.  And choose I must, because this is my privilege and my duty as an American.

We face disappointment in all areas of life.  Disappointment with the political process is certainly at the forefront of our thinking right now, but disappointments come on a regular basis.  When our favorite sports team loses.  When the contestant we were rooting for on a reality show doesn't win.  When we don't get the new job we applied for.  When a friend or a family member lets us down.  When we didn't reach our weight loss goal.  There are many, many things in life that lead to disappointment and discouragement.  Too many to list here.  Health concerns.  Financial struggles.  Job loss.  Bereavement.  Relationships.  And the list goes on.

How do we handle it?  Where do we turn?  What do we do now?

When facing tough times and disappointments, I turn to the Lord and His Word and find comfort and encouragement there.  The old gospel song perhaps puts it best......."where could I go but to the Lord?" 

Here are a few of the passages that bring me comfort in the disappointing times.  I pray they do the same for you.

"Do you not know?  Have you not heard?  The Everlasting God, the LORD, the Creator of the ends of the earth does not become weary or tired.  His understanding is inscrutable.  He gives strength to the weary, and to him who lacks might He increases power.  Though youths grow weary and tired and vigorous young men stumble badly, yet those who wait for the LORD will gain new strength; they will mount up with wings like eagles, they will run and not get tired, they will walk and not become weary." (Isaiah 40:28-31 NASB)

"Some trust in chariots and some in horses; we trust in the name of the LORD, our God."  (Psalm 20:7)

"Look among the nations!  Observe! Be astonished!  Wonder!  Because I am doing something in your days - you would not believe if you were told."  (Habakkuk 1:5 NASB)

"For the vision is yet for the appointed time; it hastens toward the goal, and it will not fail.  Though it tarries, wait for it; for it will certainly come, it will not delay........For the earth will be filled with the knowledge of the glory of the LORD, as the waters cover the sea." (Habakkuk 2:3,14 NASB)

"But the LORD is in His holy temple.  Let all the earth be silent before Him."  (Habakkuk 2:20 NASB)

"LORD, I have heard the report about Thee and I stand in awe.  O LORD, revive Thy work in the midst of years, in the midst of years make it known.  In wrath remember mercy." (Habakkuk 3:1 NASB)

"Though the fig tree should not blossom, and there be no fruit on the vines, though the yield of the olive should fail, and the fields produce no food, though the flock should be cut off from the fold and there be no cattle in the stalls, yet I will exult in the LORD, I will rejoice in the God of my salvation.  The Lord GOD is my strength, and He has made my feet like hinds' feet and makes me walk on my high places." (Habakkuk 3:17-19 NASB, emphasis mine.)

"For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord." (Romans 8:38-39 NASB)

"I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living.  Wait for the LORD; Be strong, and let your heart take courage; yes, wait for the LORD."  (Psalm 27:13-14 NASB)

No comments:

Post a Comment