Thursday, August 25, 2016

Learning to Say "No"

Several days ago I read a blog post by Priscilla Shirer titled "The 'No' Anointing". When I came across the post on Facebook, the title intrigued me.  I guess that's what titles are supposed to do!  Anyway, the title captured my attention, so I read the post. And I'm glad I did.

"The list of demands and opportunities and errands and activities and invitations is for me, the same as it is for you, endless. Life can easily become a hurricane of overwhelming (and sometimes) mindless activity that leaves us spent, exhausted and unfeeling; our emotional reserves zapped and unavailable for the people who want, need and deserve it most." (Priscilla Shirer, in "The 'No' Anointing")*

Can you relate to what Priscilla wrote? I certainly can. As we move into a new season, there are several opportunities in front of me. I've been doing a lot of thinking and praying about my fall schedule, trying to discern which things to say 'yes' to.  Or should I say 'no'.  To some? To all? There's the dilemma. And it's a dilemma we all face from time to time.

We don't want to become Negative Nellies, always saying 'no' to everything.  Along the way we have to learn that sometimes it's ok say 'no', but we shouldn't always say 'yes' to everything either. Because sometimes 'no' is the right answer.

Priscilla had this to say in her post: "every yes to one thing is a simultaneous no to something else. Time spent here will be time we are not able to invest there."

She makes a valid point. Since most of us are not the superwomen or supermen we might like to be, and since we only have 24 hours in each day, we need to learn to make good choices about how we spend our time. 

Learning to say 'no' is a byproduct of learning when to say 'yes'.  Learning when to say 'yes' comes from learning to listen to God.  Making decisions based on His plan and purpose for my life. Not my plan. Not my friends' plans. Not my church's plan. Not the culture's plan. Or the PTA's plan. Not any plan other than God's plan for me and my life.

Following God's plan and purposes involves taking time to discern what those are.  Taking time to listen to God.  He wants us to know His will, and He will use the Holy Spirit to communicate that to us. We just need to be listening.  We need to be paying attention.  And we can't do that very well if we're so busy with everything that comes our way.

How can I most effectively serve Him? How can I most effectively use my time for His glory? Those are important questions to be asking as we're trying to make decisions about our schedules and determine when to say 'yes' and when to say 'no'.

Learn to listen. Listen to God. That's the first step in learning to say 'no'.

Don't be afraid. That's another important step. When God tells you to do something, you definitely better be about doing it. But when He tells you 'no', you better be all about repeating that to whoever and whatever is vying for your attention.

It's ok to say 'no' sometimes. Obey God. Leave the consequences to Him.**

"So teach us to number our days, that we may present to You a heart of wisdom." (Psalm 90:12 NASB)




*   You can find Priscilla's post "The 'No' Anointing" at www.goingbeyond.com
** Dr. Charles Stanley, Life Principle #2

No comments:

Post a Comment