Thursday, March 3, 2016

It's a Process

I'm beginning to discover that knee replacement surgery is a process.  For me, it began with physical therapy to strengthen the muscles in my legs.  That had both immediate and long-term benefit, as it improved my ability to walk, but also has my muscles stronger to handle what's coming.  I'm no longer going to physical therapy, but am continuing the exercises on my own at home, in order not to use up all the insurance-approved therapy appointments before I really need them after surgery.

On Monday I took the next step in the process, which was an appointment with my primary care physician to be cleared for surgery.  That involved an EKG and some blood work, and answering a lot of questions.

Yesterday the process continued, and I went to Joint Camp at the hospital where I will be having the surgery, Pelham Medical Center.  I wasn't sure what to expect from Joint Camp.  One of my sons asked me if I needed to pack a lunch!  There was actually no "camping" involved (and no lunch either!), but it was very informative.  We had a short tour of some of the facilities, met some of the staff from various departments we will be dealing with (respiratory therapy, physical therapy, etc.), were given a lot of information about what and when and where and why, and had opportunity to ask questions.  It was two hours well spent, but since we spent most of our time sitting in a conference room as the various people came in and out, I was really ready to get out of that chair!

Next on the agenda will be a pre-op visit with the orthopedic surgeon and pre-admission testing at the hospital.  In addition, I'll have another appointment with my rheumatologist, and then everything should be in place for the big day. 

March 28 is the big day.  Out with the old and in with the new!  As strange as it may sound, I'm actually looking forward to it.  This old knee and I are ready to part company!

I'm about halfway through the process of getting this done.  Just a few more weeks of exercises and appointments, and then it will be time to get 'er done!  Then the process of recovery will begin, and that will take some time.

Much like life in general, things don't just happen overnight or immediately.  That's true of life and it's true of knee surgery.  The healing will not be immediate.  It will take time.  It will hurt.  It will get worse before it gets better.  But the end result will be worth it!

You may not be facing knee surgery today.  You may be dealing with something else entirely, whether a health issue or a financial issue or a relationship issue.  And if you aren't now, you probably just came through it or you will soon be going through it.  That's part of the fabric of life.

And in all these things, it's helpful to remember that life is a process.  In many ways, it's like a puzzle.  You don't just dump all the pieces out of the box and immediately have a beautiful, put-together picture.  It's a process.  Sometimes there's some trial and error involved.  But through it all, God is at work in our processes, to accomplish His will and His purposes for our lives.

"And I am certain that God, who began the good work within you, will continue his work until it is finally finished on the day when Christ Jesus returns." 
(Philippians 2:13 NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment