Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Even on "Those" Days

Yesterday started out well, but it didn't take long for it to become one of those days. 

I was looking forward to a pedicure yesterday, but shortly before time to head out to the appointment, I received a phone call that the appointment needed to be rescheduled because my nail tech's little boy was sick and she wouldn't be in to work yesterday.  The appointment was rescheduled, and I moved on to the next thing on my list - running errands.

My first stop was Wal-Mart (to get it over with!), and of course, there were only two registers open in the whole place. As I waited (semi-patiently) in line, I realized that I had left my phone at home, so once I was checked out at Wal-Mart, I headed back home for the phone.

That turned out to be a good thing as I realized I needed to change my shirt because it had a big dirty spot in the front of it.  Not sure how I missed that before, or why I had hung a dirty shirt back in the closet.  But, I changed my clothes and headed out again.

I called my friend Cathy to see if she wanted to meet me for lunch.  We had a nice lunch together, and then I was off to finish the errands.  When I got in my car, I realized I had left my glasses on the table in the restaurant, so back inside I went.  Glasses retrieved, I headed to my next stop.  Along the way, I discovered I had spilled some lunch on my shirt, so once again I'm wearing dirty clothes!

When I had gotten as far down my to-do list as my knee would allow, I headed back home.  I expected to enter a house filled with the smells of pot roast cooking in the crock pot. But......

It seems that when I put the roast and all the seasonings and trimmings in the pot yesterday morning, I remembered to turn it on, but I did not remember to plug it in!

Once again, I am living proof of the words of my favorite, oft-quoted, Scottish poet Robert Burns: the best laid plans of mice and men go oft awry.

Even so, it was a good day.  I enjoyed a good lunch with lots of good conversation and laughter with a good friend.  I accomplished much on my pre-surgery to-do list.  I enjoyed a nice dinner out with my husband.  There was leftover ham from that dinner that we had for breakfast this morning.

And that also proves a point.  Even on those days, there is always something to be thankful for!

"From his abundance we have all received one gracious blessing after another."  (John 1:16 NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment