Friday, October 24, 2014

Editing

I spent most of yesterday doing [what I hope will be] the final edit to a Bible study book I  have been working on for the past several months.

Editing is a tedious process.  Checking spelling.  Replacing one word with another.  Rearranging sentences.  Again.  Formatting.  Then checking it all and doing it again.

It's enough to give a person a headache.   In fact, it did give me a headache!

But as I was carefully checking each word and phrase in the manuscript, it occurred to me that editing of another sort is also needed.

We need to do some self-editing.

Editing of the words that come out of our mouths. Before they come out of our mouths!

Editing of the things we post to Facebook and Twitter. 

Editing of the "likes" we're so quick to click on. 

Editing of the things we share, on social media and elsewhere.

Perhaps the world would be a better place if we all did a little more self-editing.

"Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment so that it will give grace to those who hear."  (Ephesians 4:29 NASB)

No comments:

Post a Comment